Summer is officially over in NZ. We’re in Autumn now, but the watermelons are still available at the markets and grocery stores.
I’m big into eating as much fruit as I can throughout the summer and I’m also big on eating light, fresh, filling meals.
So I made a watermelon salad and wanted to share.
Anyway its super simple to make and is ready in under 15 minutes, depending on how quick
you are in the kitchen I guess.
- 1 watermelon cut up into bite size cubes
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled I like the crumbly greek style kind but choose your favourite. Also add more or less cheese dependent upon your tastes or preferences
- 1 bag baby spinach (or any mix of greens you prefer)
- 1 small to medium red onion, cut in half and super skinny
- 1 bunch of mint, now you can choose to leave it as full leaves or slice them into threads
- Pepper and salt to taste
- and a glug of olive oil, or any oil you prefer
Toss it all together and this is what you get, a delicious, easy, yummy, summer salad, that you even enjoy on those warm autumn nights.
If when you chop up the watermelon, you feel like you have too much for salad, here are my ideas on what to do with the extra.
- eat the extra as a sweet snack
- put the excess in a blender, it’ll turn into watermelon juice and drink up.
- or if you’re not into having a fresh glass of juice, then put them into popsicle moulds and freeze for a treat.
- freeze the cubes to add to a smoothie